Sometime in the next 24 hours we will be switching European Tribune over to a new layout. This will involve a little downtime and no doubt some teething troubles. Do not adjust your set. - Colman

Paris demo photos Oct 11 2011

by Ted Welch
Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 06:49:44 PM EST

PARIS  Tue Oct 11, 2011

"Five unions, including the CFDT and the prominent CGT syndicate, the two biggest groups, organised about 200 street rallies and strikes across France against President Nicolas Sarkozy's budget-cutting measures.

Though described as "low-key" by Reuters, it was a big demo taking about an hour to pass, but it had no violence, and unlike Brit demos wasn't flanked by police:

demo-general-paris-6169

Unions have urged Sarkozy to focus on growth and called for Tuesday's action, held during France's traditional protest month of October.

'We're fed up with austerity,' said CGT leader Bernard Thibault, who marched with union members in the Mediterranean port city of Marseille.

'They always ask more of workers. They touch our purchasing power ... while the most fortunate again find the upper hand in the situation,' he said. 'This isn't a crisis for everyone.' "

"For another redistribution of wealth":

demo-paris-red-6167

The women are enjoying themselves, while the guy wants to eat the rich:

demo-paris-dancers-6176

"Trade unionist not a hooligan":

demo-paris-cgt-woman-6170

Angry apprentice costume designers:

demo-paris-Oct-12-2011-costume-6132

demo-paris-Oct11-20116138

. Make a new account
. Reset password

Display:
Great photos.Thank you for sharing. I hope it will grow...
by vbo on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 08:00:18 AM EST
Good shot with "Cafe Society" in the background.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 09:18:20 AM EST

Actually I hesitated about including this, as it could be seen as a put-down; but it's a French demo and they proabbly went to a cafe afterwards :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 03:17:32 PM EST
[ Parent ]
Excellent, thank you

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 12:24:42 PM EST

Thanks, it was a bit of luck, I didn't know it would be on and heard it from where I was staying, went out and found it passing by just round the corner.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 03:19:57 PM EST
[ Parent ]
Now that I've gone into semi-retirement I'm glad to see the photo blog and demonstration coverage are being handled by competent ET'ers ;)

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP (rafifoon@yahoo.com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 02:39:52 PM EST